Sunday, October 19, 2008

AI

Sometimes I feel like I have artificial intelligence, like a boob job on my brain. I don't mean that in a positive way. I just finished taking my final for my class Data Structures and Artificial Intelligence (GSP-290) and I feel sort of robbed.

The class introduced me to a lot of things at a very quick pace with was good and bad. I find the subject really interesting, but the rapid pace and the inability to focus on any particular aspect makes it seem vapid. I found most of the work easy and trivial, lacking depth. As an example, I took one of the quizzes for the class (there were 6 quizzes in this course), a 1-hr test with 5 multiple choice questions based on 100+ pages of reading. I finished the quiz in 12 minutes, got all 5 correct, but didn't do the reading. Perhaps lucky guesses?

I know that part of my feelings are really based on my own misconceptions of what education is and what learning is. In my case, I have a perfect grade for the course up to the final. Granted the final is 30% of the final grade, but I still took it dry (no studying). Two hours later I finished and I'm pretty sure I got an A for the course. I just wish I was confident that I learned something.

On a positive note, I find the book really good. Programming Game AI by Example by Mat Buckland. (Yes, its Mat with one T.)


No comments: