Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Senior Design, GSP-490

Last week I finished my senior design class in my Game and Simulation Programming (GSP) degree, class GSP-490. I was worried because I was very busy with Deadly Chambers I had made the bad decision of doing a senior project alone instead of in a group/team as advised. This meant everything was on me. Documentation, design, programming. At the decision point I was too consumed otherwise to commit to anything but what I thought I could handle myself.

The good news is it went well. Grades are in and I got a 90.04%, just eeking out the A. This was a wonderful surprise since I had accepted the fact I was probably going to get a B. Luckily everything with my game fell into place at the last minute and I completed the game (for the most part).

PING! is an action game where you control a ball. You decide which direction the ball should turn when it hits something. Concept was by Bill Nagel and me. It was programmed in XNA Game studio 3.1 (C# FYI). I did all the art assets, programming, source control (using SVN), etc. myself.

Here are some screen shots of my game.


Start Menu



Dynamic Camera Fly at Level Start



Countdown to Start



Game Play Example



Win Condition, PING!



Menu Integration


2 comments:

Arial said...

looking for someone to build a game for our new website. will keep an eye on you. Keep going:)

Anonymous said...

Is that the same Bill Nagel from the TI-8X days. If it is can you give him a big thank you and high five for me. He got me threw alot of math classes with his games.

Keep up the work Ryan. Its nice to see fellow GSP graduates doing something with their talent.