Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Why blog?

OK, so I'm not a very good blogger. I'm just not used to sitting at my PC and writing. Yet!

Personally, I could care less if you are entertained by my musings, that isn't the point. The point here is for my own edification. And thus comes the mandatory, "Why am I blogging" blog. My purpose for blogging is two fold.

Firstly, to improve my thought to word process; to help me hone my writing skills. I often think I'm kinda long winded. I like details. I try very hard in my life to not talk so much and to keep my writings short. "Brevity is bliss." I really think that. It applies to the art I like (simple) and the design of machines (simple solution often is the best solution). I think the hardest type of writing is the concise, yet all encompassing phrase that sums it all up. I want to optimize my time, my 3D modeling, my programming, etc., and I think it can also apply to my writing, but it needs exercise.

Secondly, to help me keep track of my goals, my personal goals. Of course I want to PASS my classes, that's an obvious goal. What I'm more interested in is curbing myself into projects that are actually worth my time and energy. My family is very important to me, and because of that I don't do my "projects" during normal family hours (unless its a family or for family project). I don't think its fair to me or my family if I spend family time working on personal projects. Something I think my wife under appreciates (I know you're reading this now wifey!). My problem is that I think I'm the sort of person that is crazy, crazy driven. I want to do things all the time. I want to make this or build that or learn that. For example, I have blueprints to build my own grandfather clock, I still think that would be fun and cool, but I doubt I'll get to it anytime soon.

Additional benefits to my blogging is historical tracking, discovery documentation, and perhaps recognition?


No comments: